Future Now Fund and Future Now are seeking a Director of Product. This position will be responsible for designing and delivering a long-term product vision for FNF/FN, and building scalable products that help the organizations achieve their missions.
This person will be the organizations’ primary technology champion – they should be comfortable evangelizing technology internally and externally. The Director of Product will lead technical direction by charting our vision for the future and building upon our existing product foundation. They will work closely with individual teams to understand their goals and achieve them by building valuable tools, applications and services.
This position will also evaluate and utilize appropriate external products and platforms that will help our mission. They should be familiar with existing campaign, community, recruiting and mobilization tools and are savvy with managing a lean product team and budget.
In addition to owning and executing the product vision, the Director of Product will be responsible for stewarding our talented tech volunteers. The right person understands the power of a passionate volunteer community and can harness that power. Candidates should be familiar with open-source communities and successful tactics to lead a squad of committed tech volunteers around the country. In addition to managing the tech volunteer community, the Director will manage any agencies or paid contractors brought on to design, develop and deploy technical projects. They should be comfortable hiring and retaining great talent in-line with the organizations’ mission and goals.
Candidates should have an inquisitive approach to understanding the power and limitations of technology, and will bring an innovative sensibility to how FNF/FN should build excellent products. More than an engineer, the Director is a great product manager. They naturally understand the necessity of prioritization, the balance of pursuing innovation while establishing product maturity and thrive within constraints by figuring out clever and cost-effective solutions.
We value diversity at Future Now Fund and Future Now. Women, people of color, trans/genderqueer, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are especially encouraged to apply.
- Partner with leadership and department heads to establish the product vision for the organization
- Define, maintain and execute on the organization’s roadmap
- Establish requirements and success metrics for major initiatives while leading talented staff and volunteers in building solutions
- Creatively use quantitative data analysis and qualitative user research tactics to understand how FNF/FN products are performing and iterate on them for greater impact as well as establishing new product opportunities
- Directly manage tech volunteers and harness them for greater and more sustained impact
- Identify new opportunities where technology can help with FNF/FN programmatic goals
- Partner with technology leaders in peer progressive organizations in order to share, learn and improve holistically
- Activate strategic product and technology partnerships that will lead to more effective candidate recruitment and support
- Passion for the mission
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Comfortable with the product development workflow and can work nimbly within constraints (remote staff, limited budgets, short timelines)
- A strong familiarity with leading and facilitating open-source communities in building technical products
- Understands the power of both qualitative and quantitative feedback – is comfortable analyzing data and if familiar with common user research tactics
- Superb organizational skills
- A drive to make things happen
- No task is too small attitude
- Ability to anticipate problems before the occur
- High emotional intelligence
- Exceptional critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to communicate in writing and in person
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment while handling sensitive and confidential information
- Capable of independently managing time and tasks associated with a fast-paced organization
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills, specifically the ability to build trust, credibility, and goodwill
- Ability to explain FN and FNF work and represent the organization to external audiences
- Customer service orientation
- At least four years in a prior senior product role
This full-time salaried position will be located in Brooklyn, New York, with a desired start date of March 1, 2020. The position is in office, though especially strong remote candidates will be considered. Some travel is required. The salary is up to $140,000 plus a comprehensive health care package (75% of medical, dental, and vision paid for individuals and families), unlimited PTO, a 401(k) plan, pre-tax commuter benefits, and paid family leave. The Director reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is accountable to the Executive Director.